Born and bred in Cape Town, with the mountain as his backyard, and a passion for the outdoors, Mike Wakeford enjoys nothing more than sharing the natural splendour of the Cape and its mountains with visitors and locals alike.
Mike has been exploring the South Peninsula since his parents introduced him to the pleasures of hiking at an early age, and he has an intimate knowledge of the best routes on Table Mountain – both the well-trodden favourites and the little-known gems tucked away in the corners of the Peninsula. Since qualifying as a professional Mountain Guide in 2011, he has introduced many visitors and locals to the wonders of the Cape mountains.
Mike’s years of experience in the mountains have given him a love and understanding of nature which fuel his drive to promote environment-friendly and responsible tourism. He is qualified in Mountain Leadership, technical rope-work and First-Aid.
- Cultural guide for the Cape Metropole, Winelands, West Coast, Overberg, Garden Route and Karoo.
- Adventure Guide (Mountaineering) Badge No: WC7052
- Advanced Mountain Leader Award (off-trail and overnight in the Western Cape)
- Abseil Supervisor Award
- Single-Pitch Rock-Climbing Guide
- First Aid Level 3
- Leader for the Mountain Club of South Africa
- World Challenge International Expedition Leader (2013 to 2019)